Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. John Hallgren, a board-certified Family Physician and fellow of the American Academy of Family Physicians.
Dr. Hallgren and Heather discuss engaging your family physician in the early days of your infertility journey:
- I’d like to start by hearing a little bit about you. Tell us about your academic background and training.
- Why did you choose a career in medicine?
- Take us through your career.
PRIMARY CARE & INFERTILITY
- What is primary care? What are family physicians trained to do?
- Do primary care physicians play a role in preventing infertility caused by lifestyle factors, STIs, etc.?
- When should you see your primary care doctor about possible infertility?
- What information should you have available to share with your doctor as you begin to talk about infertility?
- What tips do you have about communicating with your doctor about infertility concerns?
- How can you engage with your doctor when you don’t feel like your concerns are being taken seriously?
- What kind of fertility workup — for both women and men — can you expect from your primary care doctor?
- What is the estimated cost of a fertility workup, and are there opportunities to save money?
- Do primary care physicians treat infertility?
- At what point should you request a referral to a fertility specialist?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
- What words of hope would you offer to women who are just starting their infertility journey?