Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. Julie Bindeman, a reproductive psychologist at Integrative Therapy of Greater Washington.
Dr. Bindeman and Heather discuss terminating a desired pregnancy for medical reasons:
- I’d like to start by hearing a little bit about you. Tell us about your academic background and training.
- Why did you choose a career in therapy for individuals with reproductive issues?
- Take us through your career.
TERMINATING FOR MEDICAL REASONS
- What is terminating for medical reasons (TFMR)?
- When might a serious medical condition be found in pregnancy?
- What might continuing the pregnancy mean for the parents and baby?
- Why do couples choose to do this?
- Why might couples not choose to do this?
- What are the different types of termination and how do you decide which is best for you?
- Aren’t there laws against this?
- What challenges might people face when terminating for medical reasons?
- How do people respond afterward?
- How does one heal after terminating for medical reasons?
- How do people talk about this loss?
- How do people manage others in their life who might not be pro-choice?
- What is a subsequent pregnancy like for someone who TFMR?
- Can it happen a second time? What is that like?
- Are there any resources you can share?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
- What words of hope would you offer to listeners who are facing the choice of terminating for medical reasons?