Today’s bonus episode guest is Susan Fuller, the founder of Surrogacy by Design and author of Successful Surrogacy. After being diagnosed with infertility, and then giving birth to three children of her own, Susan became a 7-time surrogate herself!
Susan and Heather discuss everything you need to know about surrogacy:
- Why did you decide to become a surrogate?
- It’s my understanding you struggled with infertility before becoming pregnant with your first child. I thought that sort of diagnosis would prevent someone from becoming a surrogate. Although you were obviously successful many times since!
- How do you recommend couples determine whether or not to use a surrogate?
- What all is involved in the search for the right surrogate? What are some red flags to avoid?
- Once a surrogate is found, what is the process before starting the actual transfer cycle? From our other surrogate episodes, it seems like a lot happens before that point.
- Have you typically done fresh or frozen transfers during your surrogacy cycles? Why is one method typically chosen above the other?
- Once it’s discovered the surrogate is pregnant, what should couples expect in terms of their ongoing relationship and interaction with the surrogate?
- What about the actual delivery? How much is the birth plan determined by the parents versus the surrogate?
- What about after the birth? How involved are surrogates afterward typically? Does the relationship usually just end?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add that we haven’t discussed?