Today’s bonus episode guest is Melissa Brisman, a reproductive lawyer and owner of Reproductive Possibilities.
Melissa and Heather discuss an overview of the surrogacy process:
- I’d like to start by hearing a little bit about you. Tell us about your academic background and training.
- Why did you choose a career in reproductive law?
- Take us through your career.
- What is a gestational carrier? Why might someone use a gestational carrier?
- How long might intended parents expect the entire gestational surrogacy process to take? What are all the steps involved?
- What are the typical requirements to become a gestational carrier?
- What screening is recommended for the gestational carrier?
- Is the gestational carrier’s husband screened? Please explain.
- Are there age limits on intended parents?
- Are intended parents screened? Please explain.
- What legal work is required in a gestational carrier arrangement? Please explain.
- Approximately how much does a gestational carrier arrangement cost? Does this cost vary by country?
- Do employers offer surrogacy benefits? Please explain.
- Should I pay my carrier from an escrow account? Why or why not?
- What is the average compensation for a gestational carrier? What are intended parents compensating the carrier for?
- How is a gestational carrier’s insurance evaluated?
- Can you find a gestational carrier on your own? Is this a good idea? Please explain.
- Can you use a family member as a gestational carrier? Is this a good idea? Please explain.
- Can you be single and use a gestational carrier? Please explain.
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
- What words of hope would you offer to infertility warriors who are considering surrogacy?