Dr. Robin Roberts is a Licensed Clinical Social Worker with a private practice in west Los Angeles. She and her husband experienced infertility in the early 1990’s, before many of the advances we have today.
Dr. Roberts moves between the levels of mind and body by bringing thoughts (mind), emotions and sensations (body) into awareness and into the dialogue between her and the patient. This facilitates patients in regaining a sense of wholeness, security, and receptivity that is lost in the recurring cycles of medical treatment in the drive to become pregnant and BEAT INFERTILITY.
Dr. Roberts and Heather discuss the different ways to strengthen your relationship with your partner while struggling with infertility:
- In general, how do men and women approach infertility struggles differently?
- Most fertile couples think of trying to conceive as having lots and lots of wonderful sex, but for infertile couples, sex actually becomes an area of stress. How can infertile couples reconnect sexually?
- Another area of stress for infertile couples is finances. What recommendations do you have for easing the burden couples feel?
- Infertile couples also experience social stress, such as how to answer the “when are you going to have children” question. Is there a way for couples to unite in this area to help each other respond and cope?
- Are there communication techniques you advise couples use when struggling with infertility to ensure their relationship with each other remains strong?
- Infertility often involves making many decisions you never thought you’d have to make. How can couples rationally discuss the options available and come to a mutual decision?
- As someone who struggled with infertility and someone who treats patients with infertility, what words of hope would you offer to others just starting on their infertility journey?
Words of Hope:Parenthood is possible. There are many, many pathways that lead to that experience. - Dr. Robin Roberts Click To Tweet
- How to Make Love to a Plastic Cup: A Guy’s Guide to the World of Infertility by Greg Wolfe
- What He Can Expect When She’s NOT Expecting by Marc Sedaka
- The Five Love Languages by Gary Chapman
- Find a healthcare professional on the American Society for Reproductive Medicine’s website
- Find a healthcare professional on RESOLVE’s website