Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. Maria Rothenburger, a psychotherapist who specializes in infertility. If you haven’t already listened to it, she shared her personal infertility story in Episode 18.
Dr. Rothenburger and Heather discuss the ways infertility impacts relationships and how you can reconnect with your partner:
- What misconceptions might infertility warriors have about maintaining their relationship with their partner, and what are the facts?
- Can you talk us through some of the ways infertility can impact a partner relationship?
RECONNECTING WITH YOUR PARTNER
- Let’s discuss some ways listeners can reconnect with their partners and steps they can take to achieve each strategy:
- Avoid placing blame
- Discuss options honestly and practically
- Make a plan together — and work together toward it
- Allow for differences in experience / understand and respect your partner’s feelings and opinions
- Be supportive during times of grieving/venting
- Try to keep the magic alive
- Find ways to connect unrelated to infertility
- Develop a sense of humor
- Reach out for social support
- Remember that infertility is not forever
- Consider therapy
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
- What words of hope would you offer to listeners who are worried about how infertility is impacting — or might impact — their relationship with their partner?
BONUS: Check out BONUS 17 for a discount code for some of Dr. Rothenburger’s services.