Today’s bonus episode guests are Dr. Kutluk Oktay, a reproductive endocrinologist at Innovation Fertility Preservation and IVF, and cancer survivor Annie Dauer.
Dr. Oktay, Annie, and Heather discuss ovary freezing and Annie’s personal experience with this procedure:
INTRODUCTION – DR. OKTAY
- Dr. Oktay, I’d like to start by hearing a little bit about you. Tell us about your professional background and training.
- Take us through your career, why you chose to specialize in reproductive medicine, and how you ended up in your current positions at Yale and Innovation Fertility Preservation and IVF.
OVARY FREEZING – DR. OKTAY
- Broadly speaking, what is ovary freezing, and how does it differ from egg freezing?
- If I was sitting in front of you as a new patient, how would you describe the process of ovary freezing? Take us through it step-by-step.
- What are the risks associated with ovary freezing?
- When is ovary freezing better than egg freezing, and vice versa?
- How prevalent is ovary freezing? Are many clinics offering this service?
- What is ASRM’s take on ovary freezing, and why do you think this is?
- What should patients expect in terms of success?
- Talk to us about the cost of ovary freezing.
- What research has already been conducted about ovary freezing, and what future research is still needed?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
- Tell me a bit about yourself. How old are you, what do you do for a living, what do you do for fun, etc.?
- Think about life before your cancer diagnosis. Back then, how would you describe you as a person?
- Tell me about when you first met your husband.
- How would you describe you and your husband as a couple?
- Tell me about the moment when you first knew you wanted to be a mom.
- Let’s dive into the journey to build your family. Take us through your whole story, starting at the very beginning.
- How has this experience changed you?
What words of hope would you offer to a woman who’s been diagnosed with cancer and is considering ovary freezing?