Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. Maria Rothenburger, a psychotherapist who specializes in infertility. If you haven’t already listened to it, she shared her personal infertility story in Episode 18.
As part of our ongoing series about life after infertility, Dr. Rothenburger and Heather discuss surviving the NICU after infertility:
- What makes the NICU so hard on new parents, especially after they’ve been through infertility?
- We’ve talked a lot about infertility PTSD, but would you also say the NICU experience causes its own PTSD?
- What tips do you have for the following:
- Accepting that yet another part of this process is out of your control
- Advocating for your needs and the needs of your baby with NICU nurses and doctors
- Making the NICU space your own
- Visiting and bonding with your baby in the NICU
- Leaving your baby in the NICU
- Relaxing and unwinding in and out of the NICU
- Looking after yourself while your baby is in the NICU
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
BONUS: Check out BONUS 17 for a discount code for some of Dr. Rothenburger’s services.