Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. Maria Rothenburger, a psychotherapist who specializes in infertility. If you haven’t already listened to it, she shared her personal infertility story in Episode 18.
Dr. Rothenburger and Heather discuss everything you need to know about navigating infertility as a member of the LGBT community:
- Overall, how is the experience of being a patient at a fertility clinic different for a member of the LGBT community?
- It’s of course also possible for these patients to receive an infertility diagnosis. If that happens, what can they expect emotionally?
- Let’s talk about some of the decisions that might need to be made. For each one, I’d like to hear about the typical emotions involved, considerations they should keep in mind, and how to approach and work through the decision:
- Which treatment plan (IUI, IVF, etc.) to pursue
- Choosing donor sperm or eggs (how, when, and from where)
- Whose sperm or eggs the couple will use
- Whose uterus will be used
- Choosing a gestational carrier
- Whether or not to involve a known third-party (donating sperm, donating eggs, serving as the carrier)
- Pursuing adoption
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
BONUS: Check out BONUS 17 for a discount code for some of Dr. Rothenburger’s services.