Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. Maria Rothenburger, a psychotherapist who specializes in infertility. If you haven’t already listened to it, she shared her personal infertility story in Episode 18.
Dr. Rothenburger and Heather discuss how to support your partner through male factor infertility:
- Do you remember how you were feeling leading up to your first fertility clinic visit? Tell me about that.
- What about during the appointment? Take us through the details of what happened and how you reacted emotionally at every stage.
- Did you leave that first fertility clinic appointment with one overwhelming and overarching emotion? If so, what was it — and what about the appointment caused that specific emotion?
- Thank you so much for sharing your personal experience with us! Beyond the emotions you experienced, are their any others that listeners might want to prepare to experience themselves?
- What can listeners do to mentally and emotionally prepare for anything that might happen or be said during their first fertility clinic appointment?
- Let’s say a listener is at their appointment right now, and a negative emotion has just been triggered. What action(s) can they take to get a handle on that emotion and regain control?
- Now the listener’s appointment is over, and they’re dealing with the emotional aftermath. Perhaps they were able to calm themselves down during the appointment itself, but now reality is sinking in. What action(s) can they take to get a handle on that emotion and regain control?
- What if the listener has received news they perceive as positive, such as finally getting a diagnosis that explains their struggles? How can they continue to ride that positive wave?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add about this topic?
BONUS: Check out BONUS 17 for a discount code for some of Dr. Rothenburger’s services.
Words of Hope:Click To Tweet
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Enjoy This Episode?
* Make a one-time or ongoing donation to the show.
* Tell your fertility clinic and/or in-person support group about the show.
* Leave a review on iTunes to bring awareness of the show to others.
For other ways to support the show, click here.
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thank you so much for listening this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!