Today’s guests are Nicole Sodoma and Nadia Margherio, principals and attorneys at Sodoma Law. We discuss everything you need to know about the legal considerations surrounding egg and sperm donation, adoption, and surrogacy.
- There are many different types of sperm and egg donation arrangements, and different options will have different legal ramifications. Can you please walk us through these?
- Why is it important to have a written agreement with your donor? What should be included in this agreement?
- If your donor is known, should there be a plan in place regarding future contact? If so, what should it entail?
- I’ve read that patients using a donor may be eligible for tax breaks through employer-based plans, such as health care flexible spending accounts or by claiming itemized medical expenses on their taxes. Can you explain this in more detail?
- We’ve talked about adoption fairly extensively on the show before, but briefly, can you please explain the difference between an agency adoption and an independent adoption?
- When it comes to finding an adoption attorney, what should listeners be looking for? And at what point in the process should they secure one?
- Walk us through the legal process for an adoption.
- What is the federal adoption tax credit?
- What role does an attorney play in the surrogacy process?
- What should listeners be including in a surrogacy contract?
- At what point are the intended parents recognized as the legal parents during the surrogacy process?
- What happens if your gestational carrier is out of state?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add about this topic?