Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. Maria Rothenburger, a psychotherapist who specializes in infertility. If you haven’t already listened to it, she shared her personal infertility story in Episode 18.
Dr. Rothenburger and Heather discuss how to live a happy and full life without your own children:
CHILDFREE & HAPPY
- What does it mean to choose or accept a childfree life after infertility?
- What exactly is the right name for this situation? Do you have a suggestion? I know there is a lot of debate about it within the infertility community. Friend of the show, Justine Froelker, calls it “childful.”
- What are some myths about living childfree, and what are the facts?
- Tell us about the decision to not adopt — or to stop pursuing adoption.
- How can an individual or couple decide their “enough” point? And why is it important that it’s not framed as “giving up”?
- What about when couples disagree about remaining childfree?
- How can individuals and couples grieve this loss?
- How can individuals and couples cope with their decision?
- What’s next? What are other ways to include children in their lives?
- What can society and the infertility community do to better support these individuals and couples?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
- What words of hope would you offer to listeners who are considering living childfree?
BONUS: Check out BONUS 17 for a discount code for some of Dr. Rothenburger’s services.