Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. Maria Rothenburger, a psychotherapist who specializes in infertility. If you haven’t already listened to it, she shared her personal infertility story in Episode 18.
Dr. Rothenburger and Heather discuss how to cope with infertility survivor’s guilt:
- What is infertility survivor’s guilt, and how can you recognize it’s happening to you?
- Does survivor’s guilt tend to impact men and women differently?
- Tips for coping:
- Try not to compare journeys.
- Let go and realize you cannot control the outcome for other people.
- Remember it’s not your fault other people are battling infertility.
- Know that they are not mad at you for beating infertility.
- Ask them how you can help.
- Balance your empathy for others.
- Talk to them about it — and listen.
- Seek counseling if you need additional help coping.
- Become an advocate.
- Become inspired by other people’s journeys.
- Turn your guilt into something positive.
- Honor others battling infertility by living the best life you can.
- Find gratitude amidst the guilt.
- Remember that you are not alone.
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
BONUS: Check out BONUS 17 for a discount code for some of Dr. Rothenburger’s services.
Words of Hope:Sometimes parenting doesn’t feel magical like we thought. The most important thing is to talk about it. Click To Tweet
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Enjoy This Episode?
* Make a one-time or ongoing donation to the show.
* Tell your fertility clinic and/or in-person support group about the show.
* Leave a review on iTunes to bring awareness of the show to others.
For other ways to support the show, click here.
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thank you so much for listening this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!