Today’s guest is Barbara Collura, the president and CEO of RESOLVE, the national infertility association. Barbara and Heather cover everything you need to know about infertility insurance coverage in the U.S.:
- What is the difference between a medical necessity and a medical benefit?
- Can you describe the differences between group insurance policies and individual insurance policies? What about public insurance vs. private insurance?
- What is the difference between a mandate to cover and a mandate to offer?
- Which states mandate some sort of infertility coverage, and can you go through each one and tell us what the mandate states?
- Even if a state mandates coverage, there are exceptions, correct? What are these?
- Many Beat Infertility listeners have written to me stating they do not understand how to figure out what infertility-related services their insurance plan covers, if anything. What tips do you have for getting this information?
- Is there a way to identify an employer’s insurance coverage prior to accepting a job?
- When choosing a new insurance policy, what questions should listeners ask?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?