Today’s guest is Barbara Collura, the president and CEO of RESOLVE, the national infertility association. Barbara and Heather cover everything you need to know about infertility insurance coverage in the U.S.:
- What is the difference between a medical necessity and a medical benefit?
- Can you describe the differences between group insurance policies and individual insurance policies? What about public insurance vs. private insurance?
- What is the difference between a mandate to cover and a mandate to offer?
- Which states mandate some sort of infertility coverage, and can you go through each one and tell us what the mandate states?
- Even if a state mandates coverage, there are exceptions, correct? What are these?
- Many Beat Infertility listeners have written to me stating they do not understand how to figure out what infertility-related services their insurance plan covers, if anything. What tips do you have for getting this information?
- Is there a way to identify an employer’s insurance coverage prior to accepting a job?
- When choosing a new insurance policy, what questions should listeners ask?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
Words of Hope:People need to speak up and let their HR department know what benefits are most important to them. Click To Tweet
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Enjoy This Episode?
* Make a one-time or ongoing donation to the show.
* Tell your fertility clinic and/or in-person support group about the show.
* Leave a review on iTunes to bring awareness of the show to others. For other ways to support the show, click here.
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thank you so much for listening this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!