Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. Maria Rothenburger, a psychotherapist who specializes in infertility. If you haven’t already listened to it, she shared her personal infertility story in Episode 18.
Dr. Rothenburger and Heather discuss how to manage infertility in the workplace:
- Overall, what tips do you have for managing your emotions related to infertility while at work? And what might be some workplace triggers to watch out and prepare for?
- Because infertility can often feel like a second job, how can you manage your time and productivity while at work so you’re still an exceptional employee, yet get everything infertility-related accomplished?
- Who might make your best advocate in the workplace? HR? Your boss? a co-worker?
- How can you decide whether or not — and how much — to tell your boss about your infertility diagnosis? What about co-workers?
- What are some ways to approach your employer about taking time off for fertility treatments?
- What are some workplace sacrifices you might have to make, and how can you prepare for them?
- To the best of your knowledge, what protections are available to women going through infertility treatments in the workplace?
- If treatment is a failure and everyone at work knows about your situation, what are some ways to handle the sympathy and questions?
- On the flip side, if treatment is successful, how can you keep everyone at bay to allow enough time to ensure the pregnancy is viable and healthy before announcing it?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add we haven’t already discussed?
BONUS: Check out BONUS 17 for a discount code for some of Dr. Rothenburger’s services.