Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. Carol Curchoe, a clinical embryologist working in fertility medicine at San Diego Fertility Center and the founder of ART Compass
Dr. Curchoe and Heather discuss everything you need to know about epigenetics:
- I’d like to start by hearing a little bit about you. Tell us about your professional background and training.
- Take us through your career since your fellowship.
- Why did you choose to specialize in reproductive biology?
INTRO TO EPIGENETICS
- What is epigenetics, and how does it differ from genetics?
- Why is epigenetics important?
- How has the study of epigenetics evolved over the years?
- What are epigenetic changes? Can they be inherited, or is the impact more on an individual level?
- What is DNA methylation?
- What is non-coding RNA-associated gene silencing?
- What is histone modification and chromatin remodeling?
- Is there anything else we need to know about the foundation of epigenetics before moving on to how it impacts fertility?
EPIGENETICS & FERTILITY
- How does epigenetics impact female fertility?
- How does epigenetics impact male fertility?
- Do fertility treatments impact epigenetics? If so, how?
- Is there a way to test for epigenetic markers?
- If a test reveals any abnormalities, what can be done?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add about epigenetics and fertility?
- Tell us about some recent epigenetics research related to fertility.
- What are some questions related to epigenetics and fertility that still need answers? Do you have a sense for when those answers might be possible?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add about epigenetics research?
- Infertility comes with a loss of control. What words of hope would you offer to someone who’s looking to take back some control over their fertility?