Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. Maria Rothenburger, a psychotherapist who specializes in infertility. If you haven’t already listened to it, she shared her personal infertility story in Episode 18.
Dr. Rothenburger and Heather discuss the emotional impact of secondary infertility and how to cope:
- What misconceptions might infertility warriors have about secondary infertility, and what are the facts?
- Broadly, why is secondary infertility so emotionally difficult?
EMOTIONAL IMPACT OF SECONDARY INFERTILITY
- How does secondary infertility impact partner, family, and friend relationships?
- Is it normal to feel…and why?
- Out of place among fertility patients
- Pressure from existing children, family, and society
- What are some additional emotions secondary infertility warriors might feel, and why?
- Sadness and grief
- Let’s discuss some specific ways secondary infertility is emotionally challenging:
- No one validates you
- This time it’s for your child
- Usually unexplainable
- Your doctor delays referring since you have one child and presumes you will readily conceive again
- If you experienced primary infertility, whatever the reason, now age is likely an additional factor
- Easy pregnancy coming off birth control pills the first time
- Tubal ligation or vasectomy – a complicated decision
- How can individuals and couples cope with secondary infertility? (A bunch of tips or some X-step plans)
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
- What words of hope would you offer to listeners who have secondary infertility?
BONUS: Check out BONUS 17 for a discount code for some of Dr. Rothenburger’s services.