Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. Maria Rothenburger, a psychotherapist who specializes in infertility. If you haven’t already listened to it, she shared her personal infertility story in Episode 18.
Dr. Rothenburger and Heather discuss the emotional impact of using a donor and how to cope:
- What misconceptions might infertility warriors have about using a donor, and what are the facts?
- How might the use of donor gametes change partners’ relationship? What should they be prepared for emotionally? What are some differences in male and female partner’s emotional experiences?
- How can partner’s support one another during this process?
- How can one grieve the loss of a genetic connection to their child? Are there any differences in male and female grieving processes?
- Together, how can couples grieve the loss of a partner’s genetic connection?
- Is genetic connection the only aspect that causes grief? What else might be a contributor?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
- What words of hope would you offer to listeners who are considering donor gametes?
BONUS: Check out BONUS 17 for a discount code for some of Dr. Rothenburger’s services.