Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. Maria Rothenburger, a psychotherapist who specializes in infertility. If you haven’t already listened to it, she shared her personal infertility story in Episode 18.
Dr. Rothenburger and Heather discuss the emotional impact of the adoption process and how to cope:
- Before we dive into today’s topics, listeners have been asking for updates on your own journey. You last provided one in 2015, and I know a lot has happened since then! Catch us up.
EMOTIONS & ADOPTION
- What misconceptions might infertility warriors have about the adoption process, and what are the facts?
- I know there are many ways to approach adoption, but I’d like to go through one possible path. For each step, tell us briefly about what listeners can expect in terms of the step itself, then dive deeper into the emotions they might feel and how to cope:
- Coming to terms with adoption as your path to parenthood
- Finding a lawyer and understanding the law surrounding adoption
- Choosing the type of adoption they wish to pursue (open, closed, international, etc.)
- Evaluation and home study
- The waiting period
- Getting matched with a child
- Dealing with ‘false starts’
- Petitioning for adoption and post-adoption check-ins
- Additional legal paperwork post-finalization (social security card, birth certificate, etc.)
- Telling your child
- Telling others
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
- What words of hope would you offer to listeners who are considering adoption?
BONUS: Check out BONUS 17 for a discount code for some of Dr. Rothenburger’s services.