Today’s success story is about a woman named Diana. After meeting at work, she and her now husband quickly became friends, although they didn’t start dating until about a year later. Today, they complement each other very well and can still spend hours together just talking. When she was younger, Diana took for granted the fact that motherhood would just happen when she wanted it, although once she and her husband started trying, she had a feeling it would be a difficult road. Unfortunately, she was right. When her period never returned after stopping birth control, she headed to her OB for basic testing. Join us to hear how both she and her husband ended up being diagnosed with infertility and they were advised to head straight to IVF.
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- At age 32, Diana enjoys hanging out at home, socializing with friends, and walking her dog
- She helps immigrant women in the first year of motherhood
- Before infertility, Diana was empathetic and competitive but has a new perspective now
- How she met her husband at work, started talking, and became friends
- Always the caretaker who assumed motherhood was a “given”
- How the desire for kids affected other life decisions
- Knowing something was wrong, and then a PCOS diagnosis
- The first RE appointment: why Diana was excited to finally get some answers
- Low sperm count and morphology, and the recommendation to go straight to IVF
- Why Diana lost hope after a miscarriage at 10 weeks: “We kept getting bad news.”
- How a 2-month break helped her regain optimism
- Fond moments: getting good test results of the first pregnancy, and the friends and support system found through the Beat Infertility app
- The first IVF cycle that resulted in her son
- The second IVF cycle that failed and the third one that has Diana 39 weeks pregnant now!
- Battling E. coli during pregnancy
- Balancing work and treatments
- The sacrifices and the inheritance money that helped with finances
- Choosing an RE
- Why Diana and her husband have considered adoption and even started the process
- How infertility has changed Diana: “It’s made me a different person. I’m more confident and assertive, but more empathetic too. I know myself better and am not afraid to be my own advocate. I’m learning to NOT be a people pleaser!”
- Diana’s advice to herself back then: “Don’t be afraid to take breaks. Don’t be afraid to get a second opinion or change doctors. Don’t be afraid to seek help and support. Feel all the feels and don’t ask for forgiveness. I had all the ugly feelings that come with infertility and felt guilty—like I was a bad person.”
Words of Hope:Take care of yourself. If you do get pregnant, your baby is going to need you to be healthy. Click To Tweet
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Enjoy This Episode?
* Make a one-time or ongoing donation to the show.
* Tell your fertility clinic and/or in-person support group about the show.
* Leave a review on iTunes to bring awareness of the show to others.
For other ways to support the show, click here.
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thank you so much for listening this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!