Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. Paul Magarelli, a board-certified reproductive endocrinologist and the founder and medical director of High Quality Affordable Fertility Centers.
Dr. Magarelli and Heather discuss everything you need to know about the cost of fertility treatments:
- I’d like to start by hearing a little bit about you. Tell us about your professional background and training.
- Why did you choose to specialize in reproductive medicine?
- Take us through your career since your residency, including how you founded HQA Fertility Centers.
COST OF FERTILITY CARE
- Throughout your career, how has the cost of fertility treatments changed?
- Throughout your career, how has insurance coverage of fertility treatments changed?
- How can listeners determine exactly what their insurance does and doesn’t cover?
- Many patients don’t understand the different aspects that make up the overall cost of fertility treatments like IVF. I’d like to hear your explanation of each one, as well as areas in which doctors and their patients can reduce costs:
- Hormonal and other diagnostic tests
- Mock embryo transfers
- Ultrasound monitoring and blood work
- Egg retrieval
- Additional assisted reproductive technologies (i.e., ICSI, assisted hatching, PGT, etc.)
- Cryopreservation and storage
- Beta blood work and early pregnancy monitoring
- In your opinion, how does the fertility care industry need to change in order to make treatments more accessible regardless of location and socioeconomic status?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
- I’d love to hear some personal anecdotes about families and individuals you’ve worked with throughout your career.
- What words of hope would you offer to someone who’s just starting on their infertility journey and worried about potential costs?