Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. Maria Rothenburger, a psychotherapist who specializes in infertility. If you haven’t already listened to it, she shared her personal infertility story in Episode 18.
Dr. Rothenburger and Heather discuss how to cope after a failed cycle, whether that means timed intercourse, IUI, or IVF:
- What emotions can listeners expect to experience once they’ve learned their cycle — whether it’s timed intercourse, IUI, or IVF — failed?
- To test or not to test. Testing at home can give a sense of control, but the end results are the same regardless. What are the pros and cons of testing before an official beta?
- How else can you prepare for a failed cycle — without willing it to fail? (In other words, how do you balance remaining hopeful it will succeed but begin protecting your heart in case it doesn’t?)
- Coping strategies:
- Don’t suppress your emotions
- Take time to grieve
- Take time to heal physically
- Avoid the blame game
- Focus on the follow up appointment
- Understand why the cycle may have failed
- Focus on what went well
- Find a new distraction
- Consider all your options
- Look after your relationship
- Ask for help/lean on your support network
- What are some strategies to bounce back after a failed cycle?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
BONUS: Check out BONUS 17 for a discount code for some of Dr. Rothenburger’s services.
Words of Hope:Remind yourself that, no matter where you are in your journey, you’re one step closer to having that baby. Click To Tweet
MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE:
Enjoy This Episode?
* Make a one-time or ongoing donation to the show.
* Tell your fertility clinic and/or in-person support group about the show.
* Leave a review on iTunes to bring awareness of the show to others.
For other ways to support the show, click here.
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thank you so much for listening this week. Have some feedback you’d like to share? Leave a note in the comment section below!