Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. Maria Rothenburger, a psychotherapist who specializes in infertility. If you haven’t already listened to it, she shared her personal infertility story in Episode 18.
Dr. Rothenburger and Heather discuss how to cope after a failed cycle, whether that means timed intercourse, IUI, or IVF:
- What emotions can listeners expect to experience once they’ve learned their cycle — whether it’s timed intercourse, IUI, or IVF — failed?
- To test or not to test. Testing at home can give a sense of control, but the end results are the same regardless. What are the pros and cons of testing before an official beta?
- How else can you prepare for a failed cycle — without willing it to fail? (In other words, how do you balance remaining hopeful it will succeed but begin protecting your heart in case it doesn’t?)
- Coping strategies:
- Don’t suppress your emotions
- Take time to grieve
- Take time to heal physically
- Avoid the blame game
- Focus on the follow up appointment
- Understand why the cycle may have failed
- Focus on what went well
- Find a new distraction
- Consider all your options
- Look after your relationship
- Ask for help/lean on your support network
- What are some strategies to bounce back after a failed cycle?
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
BONUS: Check out BONUS 17 for a discount code for some of Dr. Rothenburger’s services.