Today’s bonus episode guest is Dr. Maria Rothenburger, a psychotherapist who specializes in infertility. If you haven’t already listened to it, she shared her personal infertility story in Episode 18.
Dr. Rothenburger and Heather discuss how to come out to your friends and family about your infertility:
- What are the potential pitfalls of coming “out” to family and friends about your infertility, and how can couples prepare for them?
- I actually had a great experience when I came clean about our infertility, so there are obviously plenty of people who will react in a supportive manner. In that vein, what are some of the benefits of coming out?
- Are there some surefire signs a couple is ready to come out about their infertility?
- I assume there is no right or wrong way to come out about your infertility, but can you discuss the breadth of options available to couples?
- How should a couple go about discussing their specific plan to be out about their infertility? What should/could happen during this conversation?
- How can the couple support each other during the time immediately following some sort of announcement, even if it’s only to a select group of people?
- Once a couple is out, the people who know often expect regular progress updates. How can couples manage other people’s expectations with their own comfort level?
- What final words of encouragement would you like to provide to listeners considering coming out about their infertility to family and friends?
BONUS: Check out BONUS 17 for a discount code for some of Dr. Rothenburger’s services.