Dr. Curchoe and Heather discuss the future of artificial intelligence in assisted reproduction:
- I’d like to start by hearing a little bit about you. Tell us about your academic background and training.
- Why did you choose to specialize in reproductive biology?
- Take us through your career since your fellowship, including how you ended up at San Diego Fertility Center.
- Can you give a basic definition of AI?
- How do you “train” an AI system?
- What is the difference between machine learning and neural networks, as I have heard both terms used seemingly interchangeably?
- How is AI already used in consumer products?
- How does medicine use AI to power the larger trend toward precision medicine?
- Can you give us some examples of current AI applications in medicine?
- Why is the field of reproduction adapting AI strategies?
- What are some of the biggest promises of AI in the reproductive field?
- Normal (“euploid”) embryo selection
- Stubborn undiagnosed infertility and repeated implantation failure
- What are some of the potential pitfalls of AI in the reproductive field?
- Tell us some of the exciting or experimental AI products for reproduction.
- Is there anything else you’d like to add?
- What words of hope would you offer to someone who’s just beginning their infertility journey right now?