Today’s success story is about a woman named Desiree. Before infertility, she was carefree and relaxed, but of course infertility changed that. Because she and her husband were high school sweethearts and had been together for 7 years before they got married, they were used to being just the two of them, so she wasn’t sure at first she wanted to have kids. But as soon as having kids wasn’t an option, it was all she wanted. Let’s listen to how her journey spanned 3 different doctors, multiple states, and even more extended breaks before she finally became pregnant with twins.
What you’ll hear in this episode:
- Almost at age 30, Desiree works for the state of CA and enjoys hanging out with family
- Before infertility: relaxed, carefree, and anxiety-free
- Why Desiree’s hesitancy about motherhood changed when it looked unreachable
- Two years of trying, but never dreaming that she would battle infertility
- The first RE appointment: no ovulation, a quick and easy fix, right?
- Why Desiree took frequent breaks during the treatment process
- Unexplained infertility, then endometriosis and MTHFR
- Four failed IUIs, loss of hope, and a change of doctors
- In the midst of treatment, a surprise natural pregnancy and miscarriage
- IVF cycle, 8 eggs, 3 five-day embryos, two transferred embryos: TWINS!
- Anxiety during pregnancy until about 18 weeks
- Desiree’s flexible work schedule
- How they afforded treatment on their own, due to her husband’s frugality
- How infertility gave Desiree a different outlook on pregnancy and motherhood
- Desiree’s advice to herself back then: “I wish I’d been more open in the beginning and involved my husband more. He has been my biggest source of support.”