Today’s bonus episode guest is Chrissy Fleishman, an infertility survivor and author of How to Afford IVF and Surrogacy.
Chrissy and Heather discuss everything you need to know about affording expensive fertility treatments:
- Tell me a bit about yourself. How old are you, what do you do for a living, what do you do for fun, etc.?
- Think about life before infertility. Back then, how would you describe you as a person?
- Tell me about when you first met your husband.
- How would you describe you and your husband as a couple?
- Tell me about the moment when you first knew you wanted to be a mom.
- How has longing to be a mom impacted other life decisions?
- Take us through your infertility journey from start to finish. What was your diagnosis and when did you receive it, what exactly did you do to try to build your family, and what eventually ended up working?
- Let’s start with the website first since that went live earlier this year. What prompted you to launch AffordingSurrogacy.com? What is your mission?
- Who is the intended audience, and what exactly can they find on the site?
- You share other people’s stories on the site. Which one is your favorite so far, and why?
- Let’s dive into the ebook. What prompted you to turn your advice into an ebook? What made you the perfect person to deliver this information?
- Did you learn anything new during the process of writing it?
- I love how you start the ebook off with your top tips. We of course won’t divulge all your secrets, but I’d love to go into these in more detail:
- The #1 way to not overspend during your journey is by being informed.
- Research everything and ask questions.
- Don’t assume there is only one way to do things or achieve your goal.
- Learn from others that have been through it.
- If you think something sounds too good to be true…it usually is.
- Surrogacy doesn’t have to leave you bankrupt; it is possible to do it debt-free.
- You created a crowdfunding page to raise funds during your journey. Can you take us through exactly what you did, the results you achieved, and what you would do differently if you had to do it all over again?
- You express in the ebook that, in your opinion, patients receive better insurance coverage in a hospital setting vs. a traditional clinic. I haven’t had too many people on the show who’ve been hospital patients, so I’d love to hear more about your overall experience and why you formed that specific opinion.
- On the IVF side, what one tip in the book saved you guys the most money, and why?
- On the surrogacy side, what one tip in the book saved you guys the most money, and why?
- Do you plan to make updates to the ebook in the future?
- I understand you’d like to offer a discount to Beat Infertility listeners. Tell us the details.
- Since your mission is rooted in hope, I’d like to ask you the same question I ask all my guests. What words of hope would you offer to someone who’s just beginning their IVF or surrogacy journey right now?