Today’s bonus episode guest is Mary Wheatley, executive director of Heart of Adoptions, an adoption agency in Florida.
Mary is also a parent by way of adoption, and she’s here to discuss everything we need to know about it. November is National Adoption Awareness Month and also our time to give thanks at Thanksgiving here in the U.S., so it’s the perfect time to highlight the beauty of adoption. She and Heather discuss the following:
- What are the different ways to go about adopting a child in the U.S. (adoption agencies, etc.)?
- How about abroad?
- Tell me a little about the different groups of children available for adoption (infant, special needs, etc.).
- Walk us through the adoption process step-by-step.
- How does the adoption process differ for a married couple versus a single person, if at all?
- On average, how long does it take to adopt a child? How does this vary by country?
- On average, how much does it cost to adopt a child? How does this vary by country?
- I think it’s important that listeners know about the risks when adopting a child. Tell me a little bit about false starts. What are some examples, how often does this happen, etc.?
- What qualities should prospective adoptive parents be looking for in an agency partner?
- Post-adoption, what kind of support exists for adoptive parents and children?
- What final hopeful advice would you like to leave with listeners considering adoption after infertility?